Don't let a small fire become a major emergency. Learn how to identify and handle small fires safely. Having the proper materials in your home to handle a small fire is essential.
Certain conditions may lead to an electrical fire, including circuit breakers that repeatedly trip, shocks or tingling feelings as you touch an electrical appliance, flickering lights, discolored electrical wall outlets, and a burning smell or smoke from wiring.
How to put out an electrical fire:
- Pour baking soda on a broken cord. Baking soda contains sodium bicarbonate, which is the substance in Class C fire extinguishers. This procedure works well because of the water produced by baking soda, which will cool and put out the fire completely.
- Use a Class C fire extinguisher to efficiently put out a fire caused by wiring, electrical outlets, circuit breakers, and appliances. Next, turn off the electrical panel to prevent the fire from growing.
- Never use water alone to put out an electrical fire. There’s a high possibility of being shocked.
If you have a wood-burning fireplace, it’s important to know how to properly put out the fire in your home. Each fireplace varies in size, but a standard procedure will work for each.
- Use a fireplace poker to spread out the wood and debris. The flames will progressively die out the longer you move the logs around.
- Use the fireplace shovel to cover the embers and wood as they cool. Slow shoveling repeatedly will put out the flames completely.
- To be extra cautious, sprinkle a small amount of baking soda on top of the materials.
Other Small Fires
Cooking fires and gas fires are also common in houses. There are some easy ways to take care of these as well. Cooking fires are often caused by grease, so placing a metal lid over the pan works best. Make sure to turn the heat off first. For gas fires, immediately turn off the gas supply. Any type of extinguisher or thick blanket will work great for this type of fire.
Not every fire is small enough to handle on your own, so always call a professional if you’re unsure. If it’s an emergency, go ahead and call 911. For any restoration service or tips on handling future issues, contact Rainbow Restoration! For more information, visit our website.