Ever wonder what all those symbols on fabric and upholstery tags mean? When you have to remove stains or routine-clean your upholstery, fabric cleaning codes provide valuable advice. However, not everyone is well versed in laundry hieroglyphics, which is why Rainbow Restoration is here to help.
Where to Find Fabric Care Symbols
Look for the tags on your furniture or upholstery. You may have to undo a few zippers or buttons to find them, or they may be crinkled in small creases or underneath the furniture. Don’t assume your couch or chair only has one tag – sometime the seat cushions, back cushions and pillows have different instructions.
If there are definitely no tags, identify the fabric to guide cleaning practices.
Deciphering Fabric & Upholstery Cleaning Codes
- “W” – Use a water-based cleaner on the fabric or upholstery. You may also use an upholstery fabric steam cleaner to remove dirt and stains. This symbol does not mean the fabric is washing-machine safe.
- “S” – The fabric or upholstery is dry-clean only. It is safe to spot-clean the fabric with cleaning solvents to avoid stains and dirt buildup.
- “S/W” – Water-based and solvent-based cleaners are safe for spot-cleaning stains. For a deeper clean, have the fabric professionally dry-cleaned.
- “WASH” – Wash the fabric in the washing machine, in cold water and on a delicate setting. Air-dry or tumble dry on a low heat setting.
- “X” – The item can only be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner
In-House Dry Cleaning
Rainbow Restoration can bring the dry-cleaning gear right to your home. You won’t have to remove the covers, drop them off at the dry-cleaners or arrange to pick them up. Our experts will arrive at your home or business with all the equipment and expertise to clean your upholstery and fabrics. We can even professionally steam clean water-safe fabrics for a deep clean you won’t find anywhere else.
Prolong the life of your upholstery, fabric and furniture with Rainbow Restoration's professional upholstery and fabric cleaning services. Just call 855-724-6269 or schedule an appointment online.
Don’t forget about outdoor patio furniture and cushions. Learn how to clean patio furniture, with help from Molly Maid. Molly Maid is part of Neighborly’s trusted network of home service professionals; their cleaning pros are committed to providing expert service with a smile.