Just like solving a crime, the first 48 hours after flooding occurs in your home are critical. Seeping water damage is progressive, pervasive and can mean valuable objects may become permanently damaged – especially if emergency response is delayed beyond the first 48 hours. You have a very short window to avoid permanent damage like mold, dry wall rot and complete loss of personal property.
Here is a breakdown of the process that occurs in your home once it has been saturated with water and the steps you can take to save your home.
What Is the Water Doing to Your Home?
- The first few hours flood waters are left in your home can cause cosmetic damages like stained carpets or furniture; but can also lead to more serious issues like appliance and electrical issues.
- In the next 12 to 24 hours your home is at a much higher risk for serious and permanent damage. Stagnate water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and leads to serious health issues. Flood water is categorized into three categories based on the flood source:
- Category One: Water is from a clean water source and will not cause illness immediately but should still be treated promptly.
- Category Two: Water that is can cause illness from contact because it has bacteria in it; category one can develop into category two.
- Category Three: Water from a sewer or backed up pipe that is contaminated and can cause severe illness.
- The final 24 hours in the 48-hour window are vital in the fight against mold. This is a very small window and without action, mold will reproduce rapidly and create an inhabitable environment.
To prevent the lasting effects of mold you will need to contact a professional and have the property fully dry within the first 48 hours. Not taking these measures can lead to threatening mold, drywall deterioration, appliance loss, carpet/floor damage as well as numerous other health and safety concerns.
What Can You Do?
The shock and aftermath of destruction storms, like Hurricane Harvey, can be overwhelming. As soon as the water penetrates your home, it's important to call in professionals, like Rainbow Restoration, to mitigate your home. With quick, efficient emergency professional services that are on call 24-hours a day, they can provide caring service and quality work to forgo permanent water damage to your home or business.
To help meet all of your home service needs, check out Neighborly. Once on the site, click on "Join the Community" to find providers to service all your home needs.
Expert Water Damage Restoration
If you've been impacted by Hurricane Harvey, Rainbow Restoration is here to help. Our certified service professionals will provide expertise combined with caring and compassion. Rainbow's skill in water restoration and rapid structural drying and cleaning will help set your mind at ease. Our service professionals are fully certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification.
Rainbow Restoration provides 24/7 rapid response to ensure your home or business gets back on track, so you can move on. Even as Harvey weakens into a tropical storm, it will still bring flooding and related damage to a significant portion of Texas and emergency disaster recovery will be a priority. Call 855-724-6269 or schedule an appointment online for professional water damage restoration services.