How to Get Rid of Cooking Smells & Kitchen Odors
That garlic bread was delicious, but how long do you want the smell of it lingering in your kitchen? Cooking odors can be strong and pervasive. Frying bacon, broiling fish, and simmering herbs and spices can all leave their mark for hours, even days to come.
Common Stubborn Cooking Odors Include:
Rid your home of pervasive cooking odors with DIY tips below from Rainbow International.
How to Get Rid of Cooking Smells In Your House
There are three key steps to eliminating cooking smells and kitchen odors in your house: clean, ventilate and deodorize!
- Clean, clean, clean! Clean your kitchen surfaces, pots & pans, and utensils thoroughly after every use.
- Wash the walls or backsplash with a high-quality cleaner.
- Soak stubborn surfaces like cutting boards for several hours.
- Use your kitchen exhaust fan or hood fan. If your hood vents out and does not have a charcoal filter and recirculating fan, make sure that it vents through the exterior of your home.
- If weather is favorable, open doors and windows. Strategically choose which doors and windows to open to encourage a cross-breeze.
- Turn on your air conditioning or use a portable fan in your kitchen when cooking particularly smelly recipes.
- Use a high-quality air purifier.
- Clean your garbage disposal by disposing of orange, lime or lemon peels in the disposal.
What Can I Do to Prevent Cooking Odors & Kitchen Smells in My Home?
Why not just prevent odors in the first place? Try these five tips for stopping cooking odors before they start:
- Wipe down your stovetop, sink, microwave and all cooking utensils after every use.
- Use airtight food containers or Tupperware to store strong-smelling leftovers.
- Consider mulling spices (cinnamon, clove, orange peel, etc.) in water at a low temperature on the stove while cooking fragrant foods.
- Pay attention while cooking to any bubbling pots to keep them from boiling over. Keeping powerful-smelling sauces, etc. off the stove top can go a long way.
Stubborn Garlic Smell in the House? Odors That Won’t Budge? Call Rainbow International.
If you’ve got odors that just won’t budge, or you’ve inherited a super smelly space, it’s time to call Rainbow International.
Our odor removal services are designed to help you find the rainbow on the other side of any stinky situation. Find your local Rainbow International or schedule an appointment online.